-sti (not comparable and comparable; comparative -mmin, superlative -immin)
- (multiplicative) Corresponds number + times structure in English.
- (adverbial suffix, comparable) Forms adverbs from adjectives; corresponds to the English suffix -ly.
- (intensifier) Forms intensifying adverbs from certain nouns.
- helvetti (“****”) → helvetisti (“hellishly”)
- rutto (“plague”) → rutosti (“a lot”)
- -ist (forms names of occupations from some nouns)
- -ist (supporter of an idea)
- rasisti (“racist”), kommunisti (“communist”)
- (multiplicative) Used only with small numbers, and with some pronouns; note that yksi (“one”) → yhdesti (“once”) is not standard Finnish (compare kerran).
- (adverbial suffix) The suffix is appended to the weak stem, i.e. one takes the n off the genitive singular form and adds this suffix to it. The resulting adverb is comparable, if the base word is comparable: for example kauniisti, kauniimmin (more beautifully), kauneimmin (most beautifully). It can be appended to all adjectives, but also to selected nouns and numerals.
- (intensifier) The suffix is often applied to a vulgar term: perkele → perkeleesti.
- (expression of how many times something happens): kertaa
- adverbial suffix
► <a class='CategoryTreeLabel CategoryTreeLabelNs14 CategoryTreeLabelCategory' href='/wiki/Category:Finnish_words_suffixed_with_-sti'>Finnish words suffixed with -sti</a>