- A system, formerly extremely popular, for transcribing the Beijing dialect of spoken Chinese into the Latin alphabet.
This term is very often used attributively, as in Wade-Giles system, Wade-Giles transcription, Wade-Giles transliteration, Wade-Giles spelling, Wade-Giles version, and so on. Some of these terms refer to the system itself; others refer to the transcriptions of specific words under this system; most can be used both ways. While the shorter form "Wade" should technically only refer to the versions of the system prior to Giles's contributions, it was in practice often used as a synonym for the final version.
transcription system for Mandarin
- Arabic: وَيْد–جَيْلْز m, وِيد–جِيلْز m
- Cantonese: 威妥瑪拼音, 威妥玛拼音 (wai1 tok3 maa5 ping3 jam1)
- Mandarin: 威妥瑪拼音 (zh), 威妥玛拼音 (zh) (Wēi-Tuǒmǎ pīnyīn), 威翟式拼音 (Wēi-Dí shì pīnyīn), 韋氏拼音, 韦氏拼音 (Wéi shì pīnyīn)
- Finnish: Wade-Giles-järjestelmä (fi)
- Georgian: ვეიდ-ჯაილზი (veid-ǯailzi)
- Japanese: ウェード式 (ja) (Wēdo-shiki)
- Korean: 웨이드-자일스 (Weideu-Jailseu)
- Macedonian: Вејд-Џајлс (Vejd-Džajls)
- Portuguese: Wade-Giles (pt) m
- Russian: Уэ́йд-Джа́йлз m (Uéjd-Džájlz)
- Thai: เวด-ไจลส์ (wâyt-jail)
- Wade-Giles (transcription system for Mandarin)