cold fish (plural cold fish or cold fishes)
- (idiomatic) A heartless individual; a person lacking empathy and emotion.
- 1610, William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, act 4, scene 4:
- [I]t was thought she was a woman and was turned into a cold fish for she would not exchange flesh with one that loved her.
- 1993, Lisanne Norman, Turning Point:
- He wouldn't have thought her such a cold fish. Pity. Still, there was plenty of time. Perhaps when she got used to his company she would thaw a little.
- 2003, Robert Wilson, The Blind Man of Seville, ISBN 9780156028806, page 13:
- You're a cold fish. You have no heart.
- (slang) A sexual partner who, during sex, lacks vigor or emotional reciprocity.
unvigorous sexual partner