jumping-jack (plural jumping-jacks)
- A toy figure with jointed limbs that can be made to dance by pulling an attached string.
- William James, Are We Automata?
- In the beheaded frog the legs twitch as fatally when we touch the skin with acid as do a jumping-jack's when we pull the string.
- 1904 - L. Frank Baum, The Marvelous Land of Oz, chapter 13
- "Because you are built as absurdly as a jumping-jack," sneered the horse, rolling his knotty eyes in a vicious manner. "Even your head won't stay straight, and you never can tell whether you are looking backwards or forwards!"
- 1904 - Stratemeyer Syndicate, The Bobbsey Twins, Or, Merry Days Indoors and Out, chapter14
- "I have a jumping-jack!" came from Freddie, and he began to work the toy up and down in a most comical fashion.