- a common East Asian liquid sauce, made by subjecting boiled beans to long fermentation and then long digestion in salt and water. US preference is the term soy sauce.
- I like a little soy with my rice.
- 1902 — Annie R. Gregory, Woman's Favorite Cookbook, p381
- Pour in four tablespoonfuls of sherry and four tablespoonfuls of soy, as much vinegar as the jar will hold, and cover closely until wanted.
- Soybeans. Often used attributively.
- These candles are made from soy.
- The soy crop is looking good this year.
From Latin sum (“I am”). Compare with doy and voy.
- IPA(key): /ˈsoi/, [ˈso̞i̯]
- Rhymes: -oi̯
- First-person singular (yo) present indicative form of ser.
- Yo no soy marinero, soy capitán.
- I am not a sailor, I am a captain.