stirps (plural stirpes)
- A branch of a family.
- A progenitor of a branch of a family.
- (zoology, botany) A superfamily of animals or plants.
- plural of stirp
From Proto-Indo-European *sterg- (“rigid, stiff”). Cognate with Old English stearc (English stark) and Ancient Greek στερεός (stereós, “solid”).
stirps f (genitive stirpis); third declension
- rootstock; the lowest part of the trunk of a plant, including the roots.
- a plant, shrub, shoot, sprout
- (of people) lineage, race, family, stock
- scion, offspring, progeny
- source, origin, cause
Third declension i-stem.