bacchante (plural bacchantes)
- A priestess of Bacchus.
- A female bacchanal.
1936, Herbert Adams, chapter 2, in A Word of Six Letters:
- “… There was a man who always painted marble seats and another who did nothing but sheep. So a fellow I knew determined only to paint backs. Men's backs, women's backs, girls' backs and boys backs. … his best known bacchante was described by a critic as all back and no ante, but his backs became famous. …”
- bacchante in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- dative masculine singular of bacchāns
- dative feminine singular of bacchāns
- dative neuter singular of bacchāns