- Alternative form of Lodz
Unknown. Possible etymologies include:
- From the surname Łodzic.
- From the given name Włodzisław.
- From Old Polish łoza (“willow tree”).
Popular incorrect etymologies include:
- From łódź (“boat”). This is incorrect, since the city does not lie near any navigable body of water.
- From Łódka, a small river in the city. This is also incorrect, since the river was named after the city, not the other way around.
- A major city in Poland; Lodz.
declension of Łódź
- łodzianin m, łodzianka f
- adjective: łódzki