afforest (third-person singular simple present afforests, present participle afforesting, simple past and past participle afforested)
- (transitive) To make into forest
- After we leave the quarry, we intend to afforest the land and turn it into a nature reserve
"Afforest" once connoted bringing woodland under forest law in order to provide hunting grounds. However today the verb is more likely to connote commercial exploitation.
- 2005, Ed. Catherine Soanes and Angus Stevenson, The Oxford Dictionary of English (2nd edition revised), Oxford University Press, ISBN 0198610572
- 1996, T.F. Hoad, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Etymology, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0192830988
- “Afforest, v.”, in OED Online, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989.
- “afforest” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.0.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006.