jackman (plural jackmen)
- (motor racing) A member of the pit crew responsible for lifting the car with a jack.
2007 June 9, The Associated Press, “Sports Briefing”, in New York Times:
- While Stewart’s team checked out the damage to his car in the pit stall, Busch pulled next to Stewart’s car, forcing the jackman Jason Lee to jump back and onto the hood.
- (obsolete) One wearing a jack; a horse soldier; a retainer.
- Sir Walter Scott
- Christie […] the laird's chief jackman.
- (obsolete) A cream cheese.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Sir T. Elyot to this entry?)