Webster 1913 Edition
tropicusof turning, Gr. [GREEK]. See
Of or pertaining to the tropics; characteristic of, or incident to, the tropics; being within the tropics;
Rhetorically changed from its exact original sense; being of the nature of a trope; figurative; metaphorical.
The foundation of all parables is some analogy or similitude between the
tropicalor allusive part of the parable and the thing intended by it.
Lunar month, under
the solar year; the period occupied by the sun in passing from one tropic or one equinox to the same again, having a mean length of 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, 46.0 seconds, which is 20 minutes, 23.3 seconds shorter than the sidereal year, on account of the precession of the equinoxes.
Webster 1828 Edition
1.Incident to the tropics; as tropical diseases.
2.[from trope.] Figurative; rhetorically changed from its proper or original sense.
The foundation of all parables is some analogy or similitude between the tropical or allusive part of the parable, and the thing intended by it.
Tropical writing or hieroglyphic, is such as represents a thing by qualities which resemble it.
- trop. (abbreviation)
tropical (comparative more tropical, superlative most tropical)
- Of or pertaining to the tropics, the equatorial region between 23 degrees north and 23 degrees south.
- From or similar to a hot humid climate, e.g. tropical fruit, tropical weather.
- (dated) Pertaining to, involving, or of the nature of a trope or tropes; metaphorical, figurative.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Jeremy Taylor to this entry?)
- The foundation of all parables is some analogy or similitude between the tropical or allusive part of the parable and the thing intended by it.
of or pertaining to the tropics
from or similar to a hot humid climate
dated: metaphorical, figurative — see figurative
tropical (plural tropicals)
- A tropical plant.
tropical m (feminine singular tropicale, masculine plural tropicaux, feminine plural tropicales)
- tropical (pertaining to the tropics)
tropical m, f (plural tropicais, comparable)
- IPA(key): /tɾo.pi.ˈkal/
tropical m, f (plural tropicales)